NerdWallet is here to help you win Black Friday, while leaving your budget intact. We spend the time, you save the money. Visit regularly for tips and announcements about the best holiday deals from your favorite retailers. Black Friday is Nov. 23.
If last year was any indication, the best cellphone deals will likely come from retailers rather than carriers. Electronics sellers and wholesale clubs offered gift cards valued from $100 to $300 with purchase of new phones, such as the iPhone 8 and Samsung Galaxy S8.
It’s always a good idea to read the fine print when looking at cell phone deals. Often you’ll find that a good deal on a phone means committing to a certain wireless carrier or plan to get the full benefit. You might be able to save money upfront but lose out in the long run.
Best Black Friday cellphone deals, 2018
We’re starting to get our hands on retailers’ Black Friday ads. Check out our picks for some of the best 2018 Black Friday cellphone deals for iPhone and Android devices:
- Target shoppers can score a $150 Target gift card with qualified activation of the iPhone 8, 8 Plus or X on Sprint, Verizon or AT&T (deal available from 7 a.m. on Friday, Nov. 23, through Sunday, Nov. 25).
- Get a $250 Target gift card with iPhone XS or XS Max activation on Verizon, Sprint or AT&T at Target (offer available from 7 a.m. on Black Friday through Sunday).
- At Walmart, purchase of the iPhone 8, 8 Plus or X comes with a free $400 Walmart gift card (in store only).
- Get a $300 Walmart gift card free with purchase of the iPhone XS, XS Max or XR at Walmart (in store only).
- At Best Buy, save up to $200 on the iPhone X and up to $150 on the iPhone XR, XS and XS Max with qualified activation on Verizon, AT&T or Sprint.
- Get a $300 Target gift card with qualified activation of the Samsung Galaxy Note 9 on Verizon or AT&T at Target (available from 7 a.m. Black Friday through Sunday).
- Target will give away a $200 Target gift card with qualified Google Pixel 3 or Pixel 3 XL activation on Verizon (7 a.m. Black Friday through Sunday).
- At Costco, get a $300 Costco Cash Card via online redemption with purchase of the Samsung Galaxy Note 9, S9 or S9 Plus (in store only).
- Get a $300 Walmart gift card free with purchase of the Samsung Galaxy S8, S8 Plus, S9, S9 Plus or Note 9 at Walmart (in store only).
- At Best Buy, save $300 on Samsung Galaxy Note 9, S9 and S9 Plus phones with qualified activation on Verizon, AT&T or Sprint. Save $200 when you buy these models unlocked.
- Save $400 on the Google Pixel 2 XL or $200 on the Pixel 3 and 3 XL at Best Buy when activated on Verizon.
- The Samsung Galaxy S8 64GB is $449.99 ($150 off) unlocked at Best Buy.
- The Total Wireless Samsung Galaxy J3 Orbit no-contract phone is $64.99 at Target (regularly $129.99).
- Target is also selling the Total Wireless Samsung Galaxy J7 no-contract phone for $99.99 (regularly $189.99).
- At Walmart, the Samsung GS7 on Straight Talk is $199 ($130 off).
- The 64GB Motorola Moto X is $299.99 ($120 off) unlocked at Best Buy, in store only.
Best Black Friday cellphone deals, 2017
Take a look at last year’s highlights:
- Target offered a $250 Target gift card free with purchase of the iPhone 8 or iPhone 8 Plus when activated on Verizon, Sprint or AT&T networks.
- The iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus were up to $200 off with qualified activation on Verizon, AT&T or Sprint at Best Buy.
- At Walmart, AT&T and Verizon customers on qualifying payment plans could pay $0 down and score a $300 Walmart gift card with activation of the iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus or iPhone X.
- Sam’s Club shoppers got a $100 gift card with purchase and activation of select iPhones on an installment plan.
- The unlocked Samsung Galaxy S8 or S8 Plus was $150 off at Microsoft.
- Shoppers got a free $300 Target gift card with activation of Samsung Galaxy Note8, Galaxy S8 or Galaxy S8 Plus at Target through Verizon, AT&T or Sprint.
- Best Buy gave Samsung fans a couple of deals to choose from: Save $300 on the Samsung Galaxy Note8, S8 or S8 plus with qualified activation on Verizon or Sprint — or — save $150 with the purchase of these phones unlocked.
- For those who switched to Sprint, the network cut monthly payments in half for the Samsung Galaxy Note8, Galaxy S8, Galaxy S8 Plus or the new Galaxy S8 Active with Sprint Flex. Sprint had a similar deal on the Moto Z2 force edition: Switch to the network and save 50% on monthly payments with Sprint Flex lease, plus get a free MotoMod.
Check out our complete Black Friday coverage for up-to-date deal news from a wide range of retailers.