CORNELIUS – A quick-paced community effort to make the Christmas season better for a family displaced by a Monday house fire is underway.
The Cornelius-Lemley Fire and Rescue department, with support from local residents, is coordinating a collection campaign to help Eric and Joy Gillon and their infant daughter Ella in the aftermath of the fire than caused significant damage to their home at 19806 Madison Village Drive, off Bethel Church Road.
Firefighters responded to a call at 11:57 a.m. Monday, Dec. 17. According to the incident report, Cornelius companies arrived and found a fire, which was determined to have begun in the garage, engulfing the home. The department received assistance from the Huntersville, Mount Mourne and Davidson departments.
Some items in the house were saved, but the family lost supplies and clothing. All their Christmas gifts were lost as well.
A collection drive, with an emphasis on diapers and other baby supplies, has begun at Cornelius Fire Station No. 2, 19230 Charles Towne Lane. Gift cards are also encouraged.
Items can be delivered to the station.