DAVIDSON – The town is continuing the creation of a Davidson Mobility Plan, a community-driven effort to look at innovative solutions, projects and programs to help residents move in town via foot, bike, car and transit, and address congestion. The plan will also serve as a comprehensive blueprint the town will use to seek funding for projects to help the manage, sustain and improve the town’s transportation infrastructure. Town staff is working with consultant Alta Planning + Design to develop the plan. The community in invited to participate.
Events planned in conjunction with the mobility planning efforts include five community tours. Events planned include:
1) North Main Street Walking Tour, Friday, May 18, starting at 10 a.m. The meeting point is the corner of Jackson/Glasgow and N. Main Street.
2) Potts Street Walking Tour, Friday, May 18, starting at 1 p.m.. Meeting point is Davidson Community Garden.
3) West Side Walking Tour, Saturday, May 19, starting at 2 p.m. Meeting place is Roosevelt Wilson Park.
4) Circles @ 30 Walking Tour, Monday, May 21, starting at 4 p.m. Meeting point is the Community School of Davidson on Griffith Street.
5) Loop of Davidson Biking Tour, Tuesday, May 22, starting at 4 p.m. Meeting point is the Town Green in front of the library.
Those planning to participate in any of the tours can register at https://goo.gl/forms/pFY39PLLjyKSuqXy1.
In case of inclement weather, please check the town’s Facebook or Twitter feeds for information. If it’s hot and sunny, please bring water.
The town will also hold a three-day mobility charrette, May 22-24. A charrette is a collaborative session in which a group of designers draft solutions to a problem based on stakeholder and community input. Members of the community interested in transportation are invited to stop by the design studio throughout the week.
The charrette schedule:
• Tuesday, May 22, drop-in session at Davidson Town Hall board room, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.; summary of the day’s feedback, Davidson United Methodist Church Fellowship Hall. 233 S. Main St., 5:30-&7:30 p.m.
• Wednesday, May 23, drop-in session at town hall, Davidson Town Hall, 9-5; summary of the day’s feedback, town hall, 5:30-7:30 p.m.
• Thursday, May 24, drop-in session, town hall, 9 a.m. to noon; final presentation based on entire charrett, town hall, 5:30-7:30 p.m.
All of the evening summaries will be live-streamed and recorded for future viewing.
“We look forward to getting citizen input on multiple modes of transportation (pedestrian, bicycle, automobile, and transit), transportation policies, and how they all work together in Davidson,” said Senior Planner Travis Johnson. “We’re hoping to come up with creative solutions to address the congestion we have in town.”