MOORESVILLE – Aiming to keep parents abreast of the latest ways children communicate, Susan Wind of Parents kNOwmore will host a seminar Thursday, Jan. 10, at Brawley Middle School Media Center.
The Social Media Awareness and Cyber Bullying Training for Parents presentation will take place 6:30-8 p.m. for all parents and/or guardians of students attending Brawley Middle, Woodland Heights Elementary, Coddle Creek Elementary and Lake Norman Elementary schools.
Wind will offer advice, education and resources to parents as they deal with issues they are faced with daily. This program will cover the following material:
• Statistics/case studies on cyberbullying
• Current programs/apps adolescents are using today
• Terminology (phrases used, trends, verbiage for online communication)
• How to locate the apps on phones, tablets and other computers
• The laws (state statutes) that apply to cyberbullying
• Methods of bullying online
• Social media websites and why they can be dangerous
• How parents can track their children online
• Technology used to monitor devices
• Legal ramifications for parents and adolescents
• Resources for parents and their children
Wind, a Mooresville resident, is a professor at Catawba Valley Community College who has taught, designed and implemented criminal justice courses throughout the United States for the last 15 years. Recently, she also has been involved with the push for thyroid cancer research in the area.
For the past 12 years, she has been doing consulting work with financial institutions all over the country, providing training on cyber crimes and security topics (money laundering, identity theft, ATM/debit card thefts, fraud, bank robbery, active shooters, social media, etc.). For the last four years, she has been conducting research and offering programs to local businesses on cyberbullying and social media awareness.
Wind can be reached at susan@parentsknowmore or 954-736-7038.
Registration for the seminar is available on the Brawley Middle website.