Bosch awards STEM grants
LINCOLNTON – The Bosch Community Fund has awarded $50,000 in grants to schools and organizations in Lincolnton.
The grants support education and activities in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM).
Lincoln County Schools received $15,000 for the second phase of a Lincoln County Schools science, technology, engineering, arts and math (STEAM) initiative, an interactive program designed to integrate multimedia teaching, learning resources and career exploration with high school biology, math and technology.
The Lincoln Economic Development Association received $15,000 for resources to put on an event that exposes students and parents to STEM careers.
Lincoln County Community Friends Corporation received $10,000 to help with the expansion of the Lincoln County Public Library’s hands-on STEAM learning programs. The project provides more opportunities for students, parents and teachers to engage with STEAM activities by incorporating the learning programs into open house nights, in-school clubs and summer camp programs in Lincoln County.
Communities in Schools of Lincoln County received $10,000 to help with the addition of a career coach who will work extensively with high school students who are at risk to not graduate or fail to graduate on time. In collaboration with Lincoln County School of Technology, the career coach works to identify students who may be interested in pursuing STEM careers and guide them on the appropriate career path for prolonged success.
Tips for easier gift returns
The Better Business Bureau has released tips to help shoppers with returns:
• Keep your receipts. If it’s a gift, ask for a gift receipt.
• Read the return policy before buying the product.
• Monitor the ‘return clock’. Many retailers may only allow returns within a certain timeframe, which usually begins when the item is purchased, not when it is given.
• Understand return policies for sale merchandise. Return policies for sale or clearance merchandise may be different than merchandise sold at full price.
• Don’t remove electronics from their boxes. Some stores will not accept returns unless the merchandise is in its original packaging.
• Ask about restocking fees. Some merchants charge a restocking fee for returns of electronics products or large-ticket items.
• Ask about return shipping fees.
Leave a Reply