A 15-year-old suspect faces a felony charge after allegedly making a threat of mass violence at Lake Norman High School Tuesday, authorities say.
The school’s resource officer was told about the possible threat after students had been dismissed for the day, according to a media release from the Iredell County Sheriff’s Office.
The resource officer notified a sheriff’s office threat assessment detective, whose investigation determined “the information was shared through social media SnapChat and was overheard on a bus,” the release said.
Detectives interviewed several students who knew of the threat, and eventually identified the suspect and found him at his home. After interviewing the suspect and his parents, deputies moved to charge him with one count of felony communicating a false report of mass violence on educational property.
The suspect is not being identified because he is a minor.
“We will not tolerate threats of violence to our students, facility members, staff members or our school properties,” said Sheriff Darren Campbell. “We will work tirelessly on any threat which comes to our attention, and will push for the proper punishment to be handed out by our court system in these cases.”
Campbell noted that there already have been two shootings in North Carolina schools this school year.
“By starting an investigation as soon as we receive information, we can hopefully head off any additional acts of violence,” he added. “This is why it is extremely important for students and parents to say something if they see or hear anything which may involve an act of violence at a school.”